Monday 23 January 2017

What You Don’t Know About Jumoke Okoya Thomas At 60 (PHOTOS)


The pretty legislator clocked 60 years recently and threw a party in Lagos. Here are facts on her:

She was born on January 20, 1957 and her father is the late Chief Molade Okoya-Thomas
JMK with kids

She is one of the few women from Lagos State to clinch a seat at the House of Representatives on the platform of the Action Congress.
JMK with Minister Avaition, Rotimi Amaechi

She worked in the banking sector for 15 years (was a manager at African International Bank) and left for politics in 2001.
JMK with First Lady Lagos State Bolanle Ambode

 A graduate of Public Administration from the University of Phoenix, USA, Okoya-Thomas, who was also at the Burleigh College, Manchester, United Kingdom and a student at the Alliance Francais, Paris.


When she told her father, Chief Molade Okoya Thomas, about her interest, he was initially against it.

Jumoke said, “To him, the family name was important and had been built on a good reputation for decades; for any of his children to go into the murky water of politics, it could tarnish the name.
With Chike and Funke Ogeah
But I told him that someone had to pave the way for others, especially women, in this vocation- we needed a voice. He agreed and I have enjoyed his support since my foray into politics and the family name has not been scandalised in anyway.”
With Justice Oguntade and Aliko Dangote


She is an exercise freak. She would not compromise a good look for any treasure!

Her fashion sense is unequalled and she confessed: “I wear what suits me and unlike what people think, I don’t buy much; I can go round the same set of things in my wardrobe for a whole year! I can take a bag for a whole year because I find it stressful moving things from one bag to the other.”

Secret of her ageless look? “Once I wake up, I take a glass of mixed fruits with plenty of water. My lunch is not too heavy, neither is my dinner.  I don’t eat red meat but I take only fish. My look is also genetic. Also, I watch what goes into my mouth.”


She advised women on men, intimacy and relationships:
 “The first rung on the ladder of success for any woman is discipline. Even when all men are coming, how many men can a woman have anyway? A woman has to be disciplined in politics and separate pleasure from business.”
 
With Wife of the Senate President, Toyin Saraki and Africa's Billionaire Aliko Dangote

She believes a woman must be her sister’s keeper: “Let us be natural and honest with ourselves because a lot of women don’t like making friends with one another. Let’s learn to love ourselves and build a relationship that would not allow the men to come between us.”
 
Saluting Razak Okoya

On stereotype of successful career women that they don’t have stable marital life, she said:


“That is the belief of people who bring others down. I have seen many women who are successful at home and in their careers. Women are misunderstood in this society. Quite a lot of women would tell you that they would not join politics so that they would not be scandalised but I believe the Nigerian woman should be given a chance to express herself and be useful to her nation. I was long divorced before I got into politics.

 I got the two term ticket to the National Assembly due to many factors—goodwill from my political leaders, from my people, my integrity coupled with my background. But some people would prefer to pull us down and say all sorts! There are times I would lock up myself in the room and weep because those things said were never true! Sometimes we make mistakes as human beings but it should not be a cross in our lives.”

Photo credit: Ovation Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment