Friday 6 May 2016

Actress Bimbo Akintola Says, 'I am 43 not 46, What has age got to do with marriage?'



Initially, I didn’t want to use the figure 46. I was skeptical. Bimbo Akintola can’t be 46. We went to the premier university, the University of Ibadan together and I graduated before her. She can’t be 46, ‘I thought as I started to write last night. Again, I went to check Wikipedia and I saw that she was born May 5, 1970. So, I decided to publish 46.

I thought Wikipedia couldn't be wrong.

Just less than 40 minutes ago, my beautiful broadcaster friend, who is also the Director, Communications, the Transmission Company of Nigeria, Seun Olagunju, sent me a message:

“Kemi, Bimbo can’t be 46 o! We were in U.I (University of Ibadan) together and she was doing her certificate course when I was in year 3. She got into year one or two when I was in my final year. We were on the set of a couple of stage plays together in U.I.  She can’t be 43."

I told Seun my observations before writing the piece. 

Then, I decided to put a call through to Bimbo.

She picked and I asked her what age she celebrated yesterday, May 5.

Her response:

”What is so special about my age?"

I told her I had observed the error in Wikipedia and she should refute it.

“Kemi, why should I refute it when I made it clear years ago when I started acting that I was born in 1973?” Bimbo said in a gentle voice.

I said, as a journalist, I believe age is crucial especially when you are still single and searching.

This must have amused her and she laughed.

“So, who says age has anything to do with marriage?”

I said, “Bimbo, men could be scared to marry a 46-year-old actress.”

She laughed and said, “How many marriages and couples are happy? Let them come out and say it.

“I am happy. I don’t have cares in this world. My passport has my true age. My sister knows her age. She knows mine and our mum knows when we were born. So why should I bother myself with age having to do with marriage?”

“Not to worry, I am going to report it in my blog that you are 43 and not 46,” I said and we hung up.

Folks, let re-wish Bimbo Akintola a happy 43rd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment