Sunday 18 September 2016

Former Miss Nigeria, Helen Prest Ajayi Celebrates 56th Birthday


Helen Prest and daughter, Tomisin

It was a gathering of age-long friends and close family members today, September 18, 2016 at the Sky Lounge Eko Hotel when Miss Nigeria 1979, Helen Prest Ajayi celebrated her 56th year birthday.
The dinner was organised by her daughter Tomisin. Dressed in a print dress, Helen Prest-Ajayi was in high spirits as her friends took turns to celebrate her and posed for photographs with her.



Crowned Miss Nigeria at 19 years, its worthy to note that she is still as beautiful as ever despite being a mother of grown up daughters.
Wondering what has been her staying power? She revealed in an interview in SUNDAY PUNCH two years ago that, “Good looks, these days, are all about positive energy, healthy living and prayer. I’ve always maintained that beauty comes first, from the inside. What is inside you always radiates out at the end of the day.”

with friend, Elishama Ideh


Ask again what needs to be done to experience graceful ageing and she responded, “To remain ageless, you have to be able to engage with people of all ages and backgrounds. You also have to embrace change and keep tabs on the new trends in technology. How well you adapt is always reflected in your body and mind.”
She is not a beauty alone, she is highly cerebral. A graduate of law, Prest-Ajayi preaches beauty with brawns.
“I agree that looks help but without an active use of your brain, you can never make it. If you are beautiful, you must not be dumb! As a contestant in 1979, I was a law undergraduate and I did not take a year out. I combined my duties as Miss Nigeria with my academics and graduated along with my peers. I also graduated from law school, went on to do my National Youth core service, then went on to obtain a masters degree in Law (LLM) from the prestigious Kings College University London,” she said.


Rewind to 1979 when she emerged a queen. What pushed her into the pageant? Describing it as a ‘spur of the moment thing,’ a young lady then, she counted it as a relief to have won because her parents didn’t know she went for the contest! As expected, a Miss Nigeria crown should open doors. Or didn’t it?
Quite philosophical in her responses, she said, “Only you can open your doors. Remember the reign is only for a year. The rest of what you do is for a lifetime. However, I have to admit that winning the Miss Nigeria crown then launched me onto the national stage and made me an instant celebrity at a time when there were no celebrities. Miss Nigeria had iconic stature. People always wanted to know what I was doing at every point in time and I was constantly being interviewed and photographed. It was like the first reality show and I was the star of it.”
Happy birthday Helen Prest-Ajayi




No comments:

Post a Comment