Sunday 30 October 2016

Actress Victoria Inyama Reveals, “My Husband Didn’t Ask Me To Leave Nollywood”




She was one of the raves of the 90s in movies but suddenly, she fizzled out. Now married and based in the United Kingdom, Victoria Inyama explains life as a mother, wife and why she left acting
You have been married for 11years, what has changed about you?
Just like every other thing in life, marriage is a learning process and mine is not an exception. I am learning as each day unfolds. Nothing has changed really.
How have you been able to sustain your marriage for this long in an industry where most actresses cannot keep their homes?
Can I pass that question? I don’t want to answer so I don’t want to go there.
You left Nollywood at the peak of your career, did you husband ask you to pull out of the industry or was it a personal choice?
I made my decision to leave the industry based on circumstances if I have to put it that way.

Have you had challenges as an actress?
I am no longer in this environment because I don’t live in Nigeria anymore; I live abroad and I am doing something totally different. For many years, it was all about family ties; having children, raising them and learning on the job. Being that I am in another environment and I don’t have maids, I have taken a hands-on role as a mother. However, I am back to acting now. I have just completed work on a production with Tony Monjaro, called Nollywood Knocking.
How did you meet your husband?
We met in London in 2003, I was in town for a show and that was how our paths crossed.
What has changed in the industry since you left Nigeria?
A lot has changed because there is more money in the industry now compared to when we were there, so I want to believe that artistes are better paid. There may be hiccups here and there but I think they are better paid.
Is it true that you advised women whose husbands beat them to tie up their men when they are asleep and retaliate?
I never said that. It was the handiwork of some overzealous blogger that I don’t even know. I put up something totally different on my Instagram page and it was just about a discussion that I had with someone. The person apparently had a rough time in her relationship and it wasn’t favourable at all, so she was now saying maybe if she had revenged during all the beatings, maybe things would have been okay. She added that her pastor said that if she sought a divorce, she is not allowed to marry any other person. Unfortunately, that blogger quoted me out of context. The post is still there on my Instagram page so anybody can go and verify. I never said that.
A number of people who read the post said it was a subtle way of telling your story…
Really? I am just hearing this for the first time, so I don’t even know what to say. I would want to pass on that as well because I don’t know what to say.
 Source: PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment