Wednesday 20 April 2016

Why I Always Act With Odunlade Adekola- Mr. Latin




He is Bolaji Amusan aka Mr. Latin. An actor in Nollywood Yoruba, for over 28 years, he remains in the movies. He shares with KEMI ASHEFON on why he loves acting with ace artiste, Odunlade Adekola 

Kindly introduce yourself
My name is Bolaji Amusan. I’m a native of Gbongan in Osun state. I was born in Gbongan but spent my childhood in Abeokuta, Ogun State. That is why people mistake me to be an Egba man.  I attended Army Children Primary School, Abeokuta and had my secondary school at Gbongan High School, after which I relocated to Abeokuta, where I started working. I didn’t attend any higher institution until recently when I enrolled for a programme in Tourism at the Exceldel Institute in London, United Kingdom.
How did you derive the name, Baba Latin?
When I ventured into comedy, we had actors such as Baba Suwe, Baba Sala and so many others. Then, I was always speaking big grammar on set. One day, a man on set asked if I was speaking Latin and everyone laughed. The name stuck and I decided calling myself Baba Latin.
What made you go into acting?
 I never had intentions of acting. In fact, I hated it and dreamt of being a footballer instead. I loved Segun Odegbami and I wanted to be like him. But each time I played football, I came back home with injuries which I would nurse for three days. I just concluded I was not destined to be a footballer. Later, a friend of mine, who observed that I love to talk, dragged me into the industry. He invited me on the set of a movie and I started to act. I still love football anyway.
  What do you do aside acting?
I am into business. I sell cars but I am very involved with my foundation, Mr. Latin Foundation: Save a life today. I had to travel abroad to source for ideas on how to help people and proffers solutions to their problems.
 Why are your roles always comical?
The audience determines what we churn out. Unfortunately, that has stereotyped me. Even when I want to play more serious roles, they will complain that the film isn’t interesting! Whenever I am given a role, fans expect that I must be a comic.

You are always featuring with Odunlade Adekola in films. Any special liking for him?
He is like a brother, a friend, and a colleague. He respects me a lot and I love him. I have always loved him even before he became a star and he took to my advice. You know Odun is also a very funny chap, so we blend well. Our relationship is very cordial.
What clothes do you like wearing?
I love to wear jeans, shirts, polo shirts and other casual attire. I am not a designer freak but I wear clothes that fit me. I dress to suit whatever occasion I am attending.
Do you have any favourite food?
Yes. I love asaro (yam pottage) served with stew and fried fish.
How do you unwind?
I am a member of Abeokuta Sports Club. I go there to relax. If I want to relax indoor, I play a game called ayo in front of my house with my friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment