Thursday 17 March 2016

YOUR RELATIONSHIP COULD GO BAD IF....




Maurine and Victor have dated for three years. They are undoubtedly in love but always at loggerheads with each other.
“Victor has refused to change from his ways. Though he is very generous and ready to give me his head on a platter of gold, he would always frustrate me with stories of his kind gestures anytime we had a quarrel. By now, his friends and neighbours knew who paid for my computer certification course! He paid N300, 000 and that has become the anthem anytime there was a misunderstanding. Whenever he frustrates me, I would pack my things from his apartment and go back home. If he does not see me in a week, he gets my friends and family members to beg me and would always refer to what he has done for me. His best line is, ‘after all I have done for you.’ At a point, I was sourcing for money to refund the debt so that I could be free! Aside from that, he is never ashamed to talk to people about any quarrel we had, even intimate ones,” she says.
Another lady, Agatha, has the same story to tell. Kingsley, her boyfriend, has a  caustic tongue? Narrating her dilemma, the 30-year-old civil servant reveals: “Anytime there is a misunderstanding, he apologises but he drifts from that to chronicling all my deeds and renders advice on how to keep a mate forever. These ‘for-your-own-good’ words are a constant and I expect them after each apology. Really, Kingsley is a great guy and I appreciate him but he could scold you as if you were a child and would not mind whoever was around. I remember my last visit to his apartment when his cousin visited. We went to the market and by the time we returned to cook for him, he was angry that I was late. ‘You are just too useless! You lack sense of a wife-to-be! I hope you will change before December (our wedding date) because I may decide to call it off!’ he ranted on in the presence of his cousin! Fortunately, the little girl knew about his lashing tongue too and pacified me.”
Ben, 28, dates 25-year-old Laide, an architect. “I knew her when we were undergraduates but she agreed to date me during her youth service year. I believe I am her first boyfriend but we have not spent much time together. My problem is that she does not show any sense of commitment. It is very difficult for her to call me on phone or send text messages. Even when I send text messages to her, she would not reply and anytime we see each other, she makes no comment about them. Whenever there was a quarrel, she would never say sorry, even if she is guilty,” he laments.
Albert’s problem is simple: Stella is not ready to leave her former lover! “We have been dating for two years now and I met her when she came visiting her father in Abeokuta, where I also live. We became close and I deflowered her. I visit her in Lagos once every month due to my hectic schedule but we talk very often on the phone. Lately, I observed her excitement is fizzling out and when I humourously asked if anyone has slept with her since she left me in Abeokuta, her reply was: ‘I don’t know’ or ‘I can’t remember.’ This really baffles me and I feel the agony in me always. So, I told her I will like to quit and she said ‘Ok’. But I love Stella, called back, apologized and invited her to Abeokuta so that we could discuss the issue. When she came, I asked her again if she meant what she said and she said it again. She also confessed that she was dating a guy before she met me but they quarreled but the guy apologized and his parents intervened. They are now back. I had forgiven her and we both promised not to let go of each other. Now, my confusion is that Lagos guy. If she really loves me, she should dump him for me. I already told her and she promises doing that soon. It’s over five months and I waiting for her to say she dumped him.”

Let’s get talking

There are many reasons why a relationship could go very bad. Ironically, there are many ways to make the most of any affair, especially when both parties are in love. Good habits/character and a sense of commitment/thoughtfulness are some of the ingredients to a successful relationship and partners should make room for change. Why scold a girlfriend like she is your younger sister? Why reveal to friends and neighbours intimate things all because you need their intervention? I believe men/women who brag about kind gestures rendered to partners are immature. Love gives, it shares and it also receives. Maybe the greatest channel to having a bad relationship is when there is a known ‘rival’ somewhere. It is worse when there is a promise to ‘dump’ him/her when the partner you are dating knows and expects ‘a miracle’. If you are not good at double-dating, dump the idea. If you are in a dilemma of making choices, act fast before losing at both ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment