Friday 21 October 2016

'My Wife And I Still Go Clubbing' Says Nollywood Actor Funsho Adeolu



Married for 11 years, Nollywood actor, Funsho Adeolu-Adegeye and his wife, Victoria talk about their marriage

How did you meet your wife?
Funsho: I met her at Zeb Ejiro’s office. Then she worked behind the camera. We started as friends and here we are today. We have been married for 11 years.
What was the attraction?
Funsho:She was very simple and original. No make- up, no special hairdo and she wore very decent clothes. She just looked very African and that was the attraction for me.
Are you an actress?
Victoria: No, I am an On-Air-Personality and I am not entirely new to the entertainment industry.

Was wooing her difficult?
Funsho: She gave me a slightly tough time because she kept dodging me but hard as she tried to evade me, God always brought us together one way or the other. I can’t explain it but we always met and each time she wanted to run away from me, I was always there to ambush her.
How long did you court?
Funsho: We courted for eight years. Some people might consider that as a long time but it was a great period in our lives. It was during this time that we discovered that we had so many things in common. For instance, she sings and I do same too. We both love to dance and during our courtship, we were always together. If you saw me and you didn’t see her, it only meant she was on her way .She had a good knowledge of my job because she worked with Tunji Bamishigbin.
How did he propose to you?
Victoria:There wasn’t what you would call a formal proposal because we already knew where we were headed. He had always called me his wife, therefore, marriage was more or less a settled issue between us.
What made you accept him as your husband?
Victoria:I really can’t tell. My husband is a very nice person. He is also humble and gentle. There was no way I could have minded getting married to someone in the limelight. At the time we met, he was not as popular as he is now. Besides, I was in the industry and  I knew a lot. Even then I knew he was an actor but I was not too conversant with his roles in movies.
Now that he is popular, how do you cope?
Victoria: When we go out and people say hello to him, it still amazes me. Maybe that is because I don’t see him as a star, I see him as my husband and father of my children.
Are there challenges being married to someone in the limelight?
Victoria: There are but I think I have been able to overcome them. I don’t allow such things bother me. Even his female fans don’t bother me because he has managed that part of his life very well.
Describe him as a husband and a father
Victoria: He is a father. If I see him as my husband, I won’t be close to him but because he sees me as his daughter and I see him as a father, I am able to relate better with him. He talks to me like a daughter, the same way he talks to our children but he treats me like an adult.
How would you describe the years of being married to each other?
Funsho: Marriage is like a training ground and you learn every day. It is a school where you are taught so many things like perseverance and the ability to understand people, most especially your wife. It has the ability to change your outlook and behavioural pattern. One has to be very careful and know that you hold on to your marriage no matter the situation. You should know that whatever happens is just temporary; the resolution comes with compromise and understanding. Couples should endeavour to communicate because it is very important. If you feel bad about something, discuss it with your spouse and let it go.
How do you resist temptation from female fans?
Funsho: I am able to do that successfully because I believe if I am to live as the Christian that I say I am, people should see me and see that I have several qualities they can emulate. Whatever happens in the industry, I see it as things of the world. I like to be original; I don’t like to portray what I am not. I like what I do and when I am acting, I want to be at my best and that is where it ends.
When you have to play romantic roles in movies, do you consult your wife?
Funsho: Not all the time. Sometimes, I only get to tell her after I have played the role but I am very modest when I am playing such roles. I don’t go to the extreme because I know I am married and  have to keep my home .Even if my wife is understanding, I play the role as if she is not understanding but that does not take away the fact that I put in my best.
You are from Ondo state and your wife is from Akwa Ibom state. Did your families oppose your marriage?
Funsho: No. This is because my parents are widely travelled. Her family saw me as part of them right from the first day. I had some people who wondered why I wanted to marry a non-Yoruba and I had to ask them who was getting married. The fact that she speaks Yoruba fluently is a plus and I also understand her dialect a bit.
How do you spend time together as a couple?
Victoria:We spend a lot of time talking and playing. We can be indoors for days and we won’t run out of things to talk about. That boils down to the friendship that exists between the both of us. Sometimes, we even quarrel and before you know it, we have started talking again like long time pals do.

Funsho: My wife and I still  go clubbing. I know many people will be surprised to read this.
Is he romantic?
Victoria: Well, yes. He is not doing badly in that area but I am also not  one you can describe as a romantic at heart. We are both trying our best.
When you have misunderstandings, who apologises first?
Victoria:Sometimes my husband does not want to discuss the issue at hand when he is upset but I always insist we talk things over. On the long run, things just ease out and everyone is fine again.
What are those things you will like to change about each other?

Victoria: I love my husband the way he is and will not like to change anything about him. Over the years, I have come to accept him for who he is. Trying to change anything means I have to start adjusting again.
Funsho: My wife is stubborn but interestingly, I like that part of her because that gingers me alot. I procrastinate and when I have ideas or projects I want to carry out; she is on my neck until I deliver. My wife has changed my life and I love her physical looks. There is nothing I want to change and I don’t want to add anything.

Credit: PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment