Saturday 28 May 2016

Beware Of ‘Miracle’ Life Partners




The church auditorium was full and many singles were just ready to ‘catch’ their ‘miracle’ partners.  “Then the pastor prophesied that I would meet my miracle partner in the next seven days. I knew God had answered my many years of waiting and I ‘received’ my ‘miracle’ partner,” recalled 34-year-old Anne. 
Though nothing happened on the seventh day, the desperate single lady remembered she met someone on the tenth day. “He was a friend to my friend’s husband and he was given my phone number. Though my friend had told me about Johnson, I didn’t give it a thought because she was always trying to match-make me with any available man. But this was different. He called and asked me out on a date. I agreed and after some hours with him, I knew he was the answer to my prayer. The first few weeks of dating him were exciting and I even testified about it in church. 
By the time I had spent five months in the relationship, I started asking myself if I was on the right track. Johnson was always in need and asking me to bail him out with some ‘coins’. Initially, I didn’t see any wrong in helping a lover but when he started asking for too much, I had a re-think. I have helped with his rent, helped with the interior decoration and kitchen utensils. Since he had proposed to me and we planned getting married before the year ran out, I made sure he packed out of his uncle’s flat where he lived.
 I continued rendering my financial support until I became weary-in seven months and less than four months to getting married I had spent more than I earned and even taken a loan to help get a car for him! I was lucky the car was registered in my name because it was based on an instalment payment that would be deducted from my salary. 
When the car arrived, another Johnson emerged—he would come back late from work, postponed the traditional wedding ceremony and chased younger girls! I was angry, packed my things to my flat and asked for my car keys.  Initially, he didn’t release the car but apologised. We were back on track again and I got pregnant to make him more committed. Was I wrong? He said his family forbade a pregnant bride-to-be because his father was a clergy in the village! My brother forcefully collected the car from him and I am now a single parent. He was never the miracle partner I expected. I should have been more patient and not rushed into a ‘miracle’ affair like that. He hardly went to church before I left him!”
       Some men are victims too. John, an engineer would not forget his miracle partner, Edith. “I met Edith through my pastor’s wife, who was a prophetess. She had prophesied that my miracle partner would appear within 21 days and I believed her. I was almost 36 with a job and no marriage. My parents were on my neck and I was the object of mockery whenever I was with friends. 
 So, when Sister Edith came my way, I quickly proposed to her. She was from the east, a good cook and a prayer warrior. I was told she lived with her uncle in another state but left after facing persecution for her commitment to God’s work. It was a smooth-sailing affair until two months after.
 My ‘miracle’ partner was always receiving strange calls that she would cut off the line whenever I was around.  There was a day she received some text messages and cried profusely. She would just tell me about her family and not any past relationships. There were days I would bump in and hear her cursing someone on the phone, if I asked she would say she was giving some prayer points to someone. 
When I could not stick all these again, I contacted my pastor’s wife but I was not satisfied with her counsel and I spoke to another pastor in church. He counselled me on patience especially when dealing with a divorcee. I made him realise that she was single, never married and still a virgin, which I intended to deflower on our wedding night. 
He let the cat out of the bag when he revealed that she ran away from her husband in the village, sought help from the church, was helping the pastor’s wife at home before I proposed to her! I went straight to Edith’s place (I had rented an apartment for her) packed her things out and took them to the pastor’s house. This was a lady I had spent so much on— sponsored her studies at a secretarial school, sent a monthly allowance to her mother and siblings and even changed her wardrobe. The pastor and his wife are still begging me to take her back but I am done with any prophesy. I have been deceived! Those strange calls were from her estranged husband, who she was always cursing. Why lie in God’s name? I have left that church for good.”
 Kemi's comments
It is foolhardy to base your investigations on prophesies. Who is that person? Even if a ‘miracle brought him or her, does that make them perfect? That you met a partner at any religious gathering or through prophesies does not make him/her an angel. Naturally, you are to observe behaviours and investigate some facts on anybody you plan getting serious with. That he/she was prophesied to be your partner should not make you blind to certain behavioural traits. Making/accepting a proposal should be after serious considerations of many facts, figures and histories. Though miracles are real, there is no guarantee that a ‘miracle partner is real. Why? A religious gathering is a mixed multitude, a general assembly of persons, among which are the good, the bad and the ugly.

Comments are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment